Monday, October 13, 2008

Pelet et Vault

This is an essential "near-primary" source for the war. It is a multi-volume transcription of the original French archival materials-- absolutely packed with letters to and from generals plus intelligence reports and orders of battle and other useful lists.

What's better is that Google books has scanned a copy from NYPL. Now Volumes I through XI. The scans look pretty clean, but it's taking AGES to OCR the stupid books. Perhaps I shouldn't be depending on the built-in capabilities of Acrobat.

Next step may be to try some translation software, but I suspect that'll be a nightmare as well. At least if I have the books OCR'ed, I can search for words, and that will still be more useful.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home